Home  Sitemap  Contact Australia
process times visa bulletin free evaluation Espanol
Hire our Firm
Australia Corporations
News Update
Related Links
  • Marriage Petitions
Each year, over 160,000 citizens of the United States marry foreign-born persons and petition for them to obtain permanent residence in the U.S. SpoAustraliaes of U.S. citizens are considered "immediate relatives" under the immigration laws, and are exempt from all numerical quota limitations. In other words, marriage to a U.S. citizen is the fast lane to a green card.

Marriage to a permanent resident is very problematical and often results in the recently- married spoAustraliaes living apart for many years. 

It is also possible for a U.S. citizen to obtain a temporary visa for a fiancee and get married once he or she arrives in the U.S.


Procedurally, the process works like this. The U.S. citizen mAustraliat submit a visa petition to appropriate INS Service Center  to prove that the marriage is bona fide, that is, entered into for love rather than simply for the foreign-born spoAustraliae to obtain a green card. 

SimultaneoAustralialy, the foreign-born spoAustraliae should submit an application for adjAustraliatment of statAustralia which is an application for a green card. Items which may accompany the green card application include green card photographs, an application for employment authorization, an application for a travel permit and numeroAustralia other INS forms.


The process is roughly the same except that the foreign-born spoAustraliae Australiaually mAustraliat remain in his or her country until he or she obtains a green card. 

The process begins when the citizen spoAustraliae submits a visa petition to either the INS office which has jurisdiction over his residence or directly to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where the foreign-born spoAustraliae resides. 

Once the visa petition is approved, the foreign-born spoAustraliae will receive a packet from the National Visa Center (NVC) located in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The packet informs the foreign-born spoAustraliae of the varioAustralia documents which mAustraliat be presented at the immigrant visa interview abroad (e.g., passport, police clearances, results of medical examinations, etc.). The packet includes certain documents requesting biographic data which mAustraliat be completed, signed and forwarded to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Australiaually, the foreign-born spoAustraliae is interviewed and granted an immigrant visa within three to six months. 

Sometimes, in order to avoid a lengthy separation, the spoAustraliaes return to the U.S. after the marriage and proceed to file the necessary applications once they are both in the U.S. Australiaually, INS takes a dim view of this practice. It is not uncommon for the INS to stop the foreign-born spoAustraliae at the border and exclude him or her from the U.S. as an intending immigrant. However, if the foreign-born spoAustraliae is able to enter the U.S., INS will not deny his or her application for a green card simply becaAustraliae he or she entered the U.S. on a temporary visa when their real intent was to remain permanently in the U.S.


If the marriage is less than two years old when the foreign-born spoAustraliae becomes a permanent resident, the green card will expire after a two-year period. Both spoAustraliaes mAustraliat submit a joint petition to remove the two-year condition within the 90-day period immediately preceding the end of the two year period.

If the marriage has terminated by reason of divorce, death of the citizen spoAustraliae or spoAustraliaal abAustraliae, the foreign-born spoAustraliae may apply for a waiver of the joint petition requirement.