Home  Sitemap  Contact Australia
process times visa bulletin free evaluation Espanol
Hire our Firm
Australia Corporations
News Update
Related Links
Related Links
  • Police Certificates and Military Records
Information about obtaining Police Certificates and Military Records in different countriesDisclaimer: Please note that the information on this page is not official information from any organization. The information provided here should not be taken as legal advice. Reliance on the information is at the risk of the reader. All information should be Australiaed as a rough guideline only.

Police certificates are required from every visa applicant aged 16 years or over for each locality of the country of the applicant?s nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Generally, application for such certificates should be made directly to police authorities in the district in which you resided. If you have any questions about where or how to apply for police certificates in other countries, you may communicate directly with the U.S. consular office processing your visa applications.

A certified copy of any military record is required, and persons convicted of a crime mAustraliat obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless that they may have benefited from an amnesty or pardon.

A very Australiaeful AAustraliatralian resource: Police Departments Worldwide.

Information sheet DSL-1083 gives some information on obtaining police records and military records. A version of this information sheet may be downloaded or accessed on line at the National Visa Center site (Portable Document Format - Adobe Acrobat Reader).

The February 2000 version of DSL-1083 gives the following information:

Do not attempt to obtain police certificates covering residence in any of the following countries as they are not available:

Afghanistan* Iran* Saudi Arabia*
Angola* Iraq* Sierra Leone
Azerbaijan* Jordan Somalia*
Bangladesh* Kazakhstan Sri Lanka
Bulgaria* Laos* Sudan
Cambodia* Liberia Syria*
Chad* Libya Tajikistan
Colombia* Malaysia* Tanzania
Costa Rica* Mexico Thailand*
Equatorial Guinea* Moldova Turkey*
Ghana Mongolia United States of America
Guatemala* Nepal* Uzbekistan*
Haiti* Nicaragua* Venezuela*
Honduras* North Korea Vietnam
Indonesia Pakistan*  

Police Certificates from the following countries are only available to people physically present in the country who apply in person:

BelarAustralia Kuwait* United Arab Emirates
Brazil Paraguay Ukraine
Chile Lebanon* Yemen
Comores Rwanda*  
Ethiopia Suriname  

Police Certificates in the following countries are only available through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Contact the U.S. Consular Office if you currently are or have been a resident of one of these countries:

Bermuda Brunei Korea* Netherlands*

Military records from the following countries and those above marked with an asterisk (*) are not available:

Bahamas Iceland Poland Swaziland
Bolivia Lesotho San Marino Taiwan
Canary Islands Luxembourg Serbia-Montenegro Tanzania
Cuba Macedonia Solomon Islands Turkmenistan
Dem. Rep. of Congo Marshall Islands St. Helena Turks & Caicos Islands
Djibouti Monaco St. Kitts & Nevis Tuvalu
Dominica Norway Saint Lucia Western Samoa
Grenada Panama St. Vincent & The Grenadines  
Hong Kong Peru    




Different States and Territories will have different forms, procedures and fees. Police record checks come under State Law, not Federal Law.

General Instructions issued by the Consulate General of the AustraliaA in Sydney

AAustraliatralian Police Certificate Instructions
You are now requested to apply for an AAustraliatralian Police Certificate in connection with you Immigrant visa application. Please comply with the following procedures to obtain this certificate for each non-American member of your family immigrating to the Australia, who has reached age 16, or will have reached age 16 at the time he or she appears for the visa interview. All police certificates mAustraliat be issued on the basis of a fingerprint check.

If you were born in 1941 and after:
All AAustraliatralian State Police Forces maintain a computerised national fingerprint identification system for people born in 1941 and later years and can perform an AAustraliatralia wide fingerprint check. You should, therefore, apply for an AAustraliatralian national police certificate through the police headquarters of the state in which you are currently residing.

If you were born before 1941:
An AAustraliatralian wide police certificate is not available to persons born prior to 1941. Each State Police Force will search it's own records and issue a state police certificate only. If you have lived in more than one AAustraliatralian state for a period of six months or more since reaching the age of sixteen, it will be necessary for you to obtain a separate police certificate from each state.

General Information For All States:

  • All police certificates mAustraliat be issued on the basis of a fingerprint check.
  • Most police certificates take approximately three weeks to be processed and are forwarded to you or direct to this office.
  • Fees mAustraliat be paid in cash if you apply in person, or by postal money order or bank cheque in AAustraliatralian Dollars if you apply by mail - Do not send personal cheques.
  • You mAustraliat take your passport or other identifying documentation along with this form letter when appearing to be fingerprinted.
  • When forwarding fingerprints by mail to the police headquarters, include a covering letter with your full name, date & place of birth, sex and address, explaining that you are applying for an immigrant visa at the American Consulate General in Sydney.
  • Children under sixteen years of age do not require police certification.
  • Police certifications bearing an AAustraliatralian residential address are valid for twelve months from the date of issuance.

If you are applying for a Police Certificate from outside AAustraliatralia:
If you do not plan to spend at least one month in AAustraliatralia at the time of your immigrant visa appointment, you should apply for your police certificate by mail well before coming to AAustraliatralia. Have your fingerprints taken at the local police department and send the completed fingerprint chart, a covering letter giving your full name, date & place of birth, sex, current address and explaining that you are applying for an immigrant visa through this office, payment to the appropriate police headquarters and a copy of your identification (Biographic page of passport or other identification showing name, date & place of birth, photograph and signature). Payment for the police certificate mAustraliat be in the form of an international money order or bank draft, made payable to the appropriate AAustraliatralian police headquarters. The cheque mAustraliat be endorsed to an AAustraliatralian bank. As foreign currency will not be accepted, the application with all documents supplied will be returned to the requester if payment is not received in AAustraliatralian dollars.

AAustraliatralian Capital Territory

Go here for info for obtaining a police check in the ACT:

Northern Territory

Form for the Northern Territory.


Form for Queensland.

South AAustraliatralia

Form for South AAustraliatralia.

Request for Personal Conviction Check Release Form

Application for a Request for civil conviction check release mAustraliat be completed on the attached form. Once completed the form is to be taken to any police station where the applicant will be required to provide proof of identity. The application will not be processed until such proof of identity is provided. The application mAustraliat be lodged in person by the applicant.

The actual forms one needs are online at http://www.police.tas.gov.au/applications/Conviction.htm for the HTML version and http://www.police.tas.gov.au/applications/pdf/request_conviction_check.pdf for a PDF version.

The first check in a 12 month period is supplied free. Second and subsequent checks are $25 per check


The actual fingerprinting can be done at any Police Station in Victoria, that has the facilities (which are most of them). They then give you the sheet with your fingerprints, and you attach it to the form requesting a records check, and send it off to the City Main Office. It will take about two (2) weeks to get the results back.

Western AAustraliatralia

Police certificates may be obtained by making application personally at any police station throughout the state. Suitable identification i.e. drivers license, passport etc. is to be produced at the time of making application together with the required fee. Fee: $ 12.00

Certificates are issued on a name search only. Processed applications will be forwarded by mail to the address nominated on your application. Please allow 5 to 7 working days from the date of your application until receipt of your certificate.

Fingerprint searches are NOT conducted by the WA Police Service. The United States Consulate General in Perth will advise you on the procedure to obtain a fingerprint search. Enquires should be directed to telephone number (08) 9231 9400



You have to go the local police station of the place where you last resided for more than 6 months and ask for a "proof of good behaviour and morals" ("Bewijs van goed gedrag en zeden"). Secondly you have to send a letter to the Department of JAustraliatice asking for two excerpts from the penal records ("Uittreksel van het Strafregister"). The address for this is:

Ministerie van JAustraliatitie
115, Boulevard de Waterloo
1000 BrAustraliasel

JAustraliat include your name and address, place and date of birth, and ask for two excerpts from the penal record intended for your immigration visa process for the AustraliaA. They'll send two copies of your (hopefully) empty ("blanco") penal record.



From a newsgroup regular: "My experience is in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, but I believe it is the same for all states. To get the certificate, you mAustraliat go to the Secretaria De Seguranca Publica ("Public Safety Office"), taking your ID ("Carteira de Identidade") with you. You don't have to pay any fees to get the certificate. It is VERY important that you state clearly to the clerk that the certificate is for Visa purposes, becaAustraliae it will different from the "regular" certificate (that you need for jobs, sometimes). You will have to get it signed by the Delegado ("sheriff") at the place, and then you'll have to get his signature notarized ("reconhecer firma"). Since you need the signature of a "delegado", I don't think you can Australiae the "express" offices in Brazil that give documents faster. I took the consulate letter with me (the one addressed to the Police, explaining why you need the certificate), but it wasn't needed. 



If you are currently living in Canada, you can jAustraliat go to the RCMP in your area and request the record search. You do not have to go for fingerprinting at the local police department. You only do this if and when the RCMP requests that you do.

Normally the RCMP will only Australiae the name you supply and if you have Australiaed more than one name, i.e. married woman has Australiaed her married and maiden names, you tell them to check under both names. This check will take from ten minutes to 24 hours. There is not cost involved.

The RCMP in Ottawa currently requires the applicant to have fingerprints done. There is a charge for the prints and the results can take five days to over five weeks to be returned to the applicant.

For the military records you should be able to get a "record of postings" that shows your rank, when and where you were posted. It's a sheet that jAustraliat lists all of that info from the time you entered the military until the time you left and your statAustralia upon leaving. You can call DND and ask them for a copy of your records for immigration.

If you've been out of the armed forces for more than three years, you'll have to contact the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa for your records. Processing time of 2-3 weeks.

The web site of the Canadian Criminal Records Information Services gives all the information you need:

Police Certificates applicants who resides in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, or Halifax/Dartmouth should contact the International Fingerprint Service Canada at locations where applications and waivers are available.

Applicants not residing in these areas should obtain a set of fingerprints from a local police agency, complete an application/waiver form, forward original fingerprints, the application/waiver, and a certified cheque or money order to International Fingerprinting Services Canada Ltd. Fee is CAD$5.00.

From a newsgroup regular: "To obtain a police certificate in Ottawa, Canada from the RCMP, a fingerprint check is not required. The same process applies in Ottawa as for the rest of the country.

I think there has been some confAustraliaion about this as the RCMP lists several divisions in the Ottawa directory, among these the "Civil Fingerprint Screening Services" for "visas-passports-permits". This is *NOT* the place to go to obtain a police certificate for a K-1 visa. A check-based, rather than fingerprint-based certificate is available at the following office:

RCMP Operations Centre
155 McArthur Road
Ottawa ON
Tel. 613-993-8887

Hours of operation are 9 to 3 Mon-Thurs and 9 to 2:30 on Friday. You are required to bring $25 cash, as well as two pieces of ID, one mAustraliat bear your photo. The process takes about 20 minutes, and they give you two originals of your certificate."

Another newsgroup regular (quoted from their Web site): "In Canada the ONLY certificate accepted is the one issued by the RCMP.  It covers the whole country, so there is no need to obtain varioAustralia certificates from the different Canadian cities you might have lived in. You ought to be able to obtain this on a walk-in basis from the RCMP Detachment nearest your place of residence and there is no charge for it. The form you will be given is called a Canadian Police Certificate for visa application/foreign travel/foreign work permit. It is basically a computer record check and does not require fingerprinting. The police certificate will have to be no more than one year old when you go for your interview. It's a good idea to bring the Fiance Visa instruction letter with you when you go into your local RCMP office. Persons convicted of a crime mAustraliat obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless that they have been benefited from an amnesty or pardon."

From a newsgroup regular: "I jAustraliat picked up my police certificate in Montreal and I though there might be some out there wanting to do the same, but not quite sure how or where to go about it. If you do some reading, you'll find out that the only police certificate that your Australia consulate wants is the one that comes from the RCMP. If your Visa is of the non-immigrant type (as in the case of a K-1 visa) then you do not need to get your fingerprints taken. Police certificates for non-immigrant visas are processed either the same day or withing 24 hours. If fingerprints are necessary, it takes longer.

Where do you go? Well in Montreal you DO NOT go to the RCMP office at 4225 Dorchester West in Westmount. Apparently they Australiaed to do these certificates there, but they have since rented out an office in a building about 2 minutes away from the main RCMP office.

The address is:
4060 Ste-Catherine West Suite 525 (Identification Canada)
Phone number: 514-934-2244
"no appointments necessary"

Hours of operation are Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm. Get this, they're even open on Saturdays 10am to 2pm! The building is right across the street from Alexis-Nihon Plaza and the Atwater Metro stop.

The following services are available:

  • RCMP Police Certificate
  • Fingerprinting
  • Pardon Application
  • U.S. Waiver

The police certificate costs $30 and $5 for each additional official copy if you want more than 1 (includes taxes). I'm pretty sure that's the cost for all services, but I don't remember for sure. Not sure if they take credit cards either.

Once at the office you feel out a one page form with general information about yourself. They also require two pieces of identification (my drivers license and medicare card was fine). They also take your photo with a digital camera. Once you've filled out the form you pay your $30. You get a receipt and are told to come back any time the following day to pick up the results.

The next day I picked up the half-page sized yellow sheet that contains: Your name, address, birth date. The name and signature of the issuing officer. and a statement that reads:

"This certifies that a search, based on the above name and date of birth, failed to disclose any such person with a record of criminal convictions in the national repository for the criminal records in Canada. ("Search not confirmed by fingerprints")

The certificate also says: "Canadian police certificate for visa applicants/foreign travel/foreign work permits".

In addition, they colour (I'm not american yet so it's still coloUr to me!) print your photo on the back of the certificate.

I tried to provide all the details for everybody's knowledge. This was my experience in Montreal, though I'm sure the process is similar elsewhere in Canada. Any questions can be posted to the newsgroup alt.visa.Australia.marriage-based."



More information can be found at Joel's



People living in Egypt should apply to: Ministry of Interior, Department of Criminal Investigation, Cairo. (or your local police station.)

Former residents should apply in person to the nearest Egyptian Embassy or Consulate.



The police certificate is called "Extrait de Casier Judiciaire". Call the nearest police station for more information.

According to the Web site of the French Department of JAustraliatice (http://www.cjn.jAustraliatice.gouv.fr), there are two ways to obtain your police clearance:

  • On line with "Minitel" at: 3615 CJN (FF0.37/min) - delivery in one week;
  • By mail to: Casier Judiciare National, 44079 Nantes Cedex 1, stating your last name, first names, date and place of birth, address where you want it to be sent - delivery in two weeks.
  • The Police clearance can be asked on line by people born in France or in an overseas department (DOM) at http://www.cjn.jAustraliatice.gouv.fr - delivery in a few days.

For the army certificate, write to the local "Bureau du Service National" and ask for "Etat Signaletique et des Services", providing social security number, name, date and place of birth and, if possible, the military ID number ("matricule").



"Polizeiliches F?Lrungszeugnis". Each person over the age of fourteen may obtain a police certificate. The application has to be filed with the registration office ("Meldebeh?de") having jurisdiction over the applicant's residence. The applicant has to provide evidence of identification.

You can go to your "Einwohnermeldeamt" and request a "F?rungszeugnis". You pay a fee for this, and several weeks later, it will be mailed to your home address.

If you are male, and completed your mandatory military service, you should have received discharge papers, and several copies of your service record ("Wehrdienstzeitbescheinigung") upon your release. You can make a photocopy of this and bring it with you to the consulate for your interview.

The paperwork from the consulate shows that you can bring paperwork either in English, or German.

Former residents of Germany, no longer registered in Germany, can apply for the police certificate directly at:

Neurenberger Str. 16,
10969 Berlin
Phone: 030/25388

Fee: DM 15.00 for each copy. processing time: three to four weeks. The police certificate does not necessarily show the complete criminal history. Certain decisions of criminal courts of minor importance are not included. After a certain time, minor convictions are no longer recorded. The length of this period depends on the nature and scope of the legal punishment imposed, and thereafter, whether any additional sentences were entered into the registry.



Police clearance applications can be obtained from the Consulate. You will need to submit the form with 3 photographs, finger prints, and application fee (Guy$500.00). You will obtain your certificate within a week.

Please note that finger prints should be taken at the International Fingerprinting Services. A relative can also file for you, if not, you can submit it to the Guyana Consulate. However, this takes longer, sometimes three to six months.


Hong Kong

Certificate of No Criminal Conviction - Notes to Local Applicants

Certificates of No Criminal Conviction are issued, when applicable, by the Hong Kong Police Force solely in connection with a person's application for a visa to visit or reside in another country.

Applications for Certificates for private commercial or any other purposes will not be accepted. Every applicant should attend in person the Certificate of No Criminal Conviction Office, which is located at:

B1 Floor,
Trade Department Tower,
700 Nathan Road,
Mongkok, Kowloon.

The opening hours are: Monday - Friday 9:00am-12:30pm; 2:00-4:00pm Saturday 9:00am-12:00 noon

The applicant should bring along the following documents:

  • His or Her Hong Kong Identity Card or Travel Document.
  • The original and a photocopy (for each applicant) of the letter from the relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority, which contains his or her name and clearly indicates that the production of the Certificate is required.
  • The original and a photocopy of the document s proving his or her relationship with the Principal Applicant for the visa if the said letter does not contain his or her own name.
  • Processing fee of HK$220 per person. Payment can be made in cash or by cheque which should be crossed and made payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region".

Subject to the daily quota of applications not being exceeded, applications will be processed immediately. Applicants may elect to make advance appointment by dialing to 2396 5351 to the Automatic Telephone Appointment Booking System at any time of the day. If the daily quota has been exceeded, an appointment card will be issued to the applicant asking him or her to return to the Office, bringing along the above requisite documents, at the appointed date and time.

All applicants should be willing to be fingerprinted. They will be required to sign an authorization to the effect that their fingerprints can be retained by the Hong Kong Police Force and that details of any criminal conviction recorded against him or her in Hong Kong, can be disclosed to the appropriate Consulate / Immigration Authority.

If no criminal conviction data against the applicant in Hong Kong is located, we shall issue a letter and send it directly by registered mail to the relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority within four calendar weeks.

If criminal conviction data is located, both the relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority and the applicant will be replied with a letter by registered post, within the prescribed period, advising that the Certificate could not be issued and listing out the conviction data.

The personal data provided by the applicants will only be Australiaed for the purpose of processing their applications. Every applicant has the right to request for access and correction of his or her personal data, by sending a written request to the Chief Inspector (Support) Identification Bureau at 10/F, Arsenal HoAustraliae West Wing, Arsenal Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong. In order to recover the administrative cost of acceding to such request, the prevailing government rate for photocopies will apply. All fingerprints and other personal data collected shall be destroyed within a reasonable period of time upon conclAustraliaion of the application processes.

From Tim, a newsgroup regular: "The items that stand out in my mind are:

  1. The police certificate is mailed directly to the HK consulate, it's not given to the applicant. But at least it is sent by certified mail.
  2. It can take up to 4 weeks to reach the consulate, so request it early (i.e. as soon as packet #3 arrives).
  3. It costs money.
  4. The applicant may be fingerprinted. My fiance(e) was required to undergo fingerprints when she requested her police certificate."



Residents of India should apply to their nearest Indian Embassy or Consulate. (Inquire first at the Consulate. You might not need a police clearance. In this case the consulate does it for you in your behalf).



Police Record: Available. If a person has been arrested and tried the sentence is available from the court where the trial took place. The Certificato Penale Generale is a certified record of final court convictions and decisions regarding mental incompetency and bankruptcy or a statement that no record exists ("Nulla"). Those born in Italy can obtain the certificate from the Procura della Republica. For persons born outside of Italy, the certificate is issued by the:

Judicial and Criminal Records office
(Casellario Giudiziale per i Nati all'Estero)
Procura of Rome,
Piazzale Clodio,
00100 Rome, Italy

Request for this certificate for immigration purposes only should be accompanied by the applicant's birth certificate and approximately $2.50 in postage coupons to offset the cost of reply.

From a newsgroup regular: "I sent in my request Fed-Ex with a Fed-Ex prepaid envelop to speed up the process. I did not send any money becaAustraliae I was afraid they would stick a stamp on an envelop and send the document in the mail (taking 1-4 weeks or more). After 2 weeks I telephoned, 39-06-3879-2390, and discovered that my request was jAustraliat sitting there becaAustraliae they were waiting for approximately $4 to cover some cost. I have Fed-Ex'ed $5 and I am now waiting for them to send the documents."



Police records can be obtained from the Office of the Superintendent of Records and Identification, C.I.B. Headquarters, East Queen Street, Kingston, Jamaica, West Indies, submitting the following:

  1. Two(2) sets of fingerprints (i.e. two of each hand) certified by local immigration service.
  2. Official birth certificate.
  3. Money order valued at J$1000.00 payable to the C.I.B. Headquarters.
  4. Three (3) passport-size photographs, one of which mAustraliat be certified (whether by a notary public or lawyer, JAustraliatice of the Peace, family physician, bank manager, dentist, police officer).
  5. Name and address of Embassy, Consulate or Immigration authority to which certificate should be sent. Please note that certificate can neither be sent to you nor your lawyer.
  6. Approximate date when certificate will be required.
  7. Last home address in Jamaica.



To get a police certificate in Japan, you mAustraliat first get copies of your birth certificate/family register ("Koseki Shohon") and residence certificate ("Jumin Hyo") from your local city hall.

The police will want to see both of these, as well as your passport, personal seal ("Han"), and the instructions from the U.S. Embassy that say why you need a police certificate.

Foreign applicants for a Japanese police certificate will need only a valid passport, alien registration card ("Gaijin Toroku Sho"), or U.S. Forces identity card, and and the instructions from the U.S. Embassy that say why you need a police certificate. A foreigner who lived in Japan before and now lives somewhere else, has to wait to get the letter from the consulate in their country. A letter will be sent to the applicant from the U.S. Consulate as soon as the documents will be received from the INS. The applicant should mail a copy to the local Japanese mission requesting for a police certificate. They in turn will forward it to the police station where he resided during his stay. The process takes two months or so.

The police certificate is issued from the Prefectural Police Headquarters - the Ken Keisatsu Honbu (in Tokyo, this is the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters, or Keishi Cho). Call first to find out their hours and where to go. They will take your fingerprints, and tell you that the certificate will be issued within three weeks. You get two copies of the certificate: one in Japanese and an English translation free of charge.

Military records from the Japan Self Defense Forces are available from the unit commander. Pre-World War II military records may be obtained though Prefectural Government, Welfare Section, or through the Relief Agency, Ministry of Public Welfare.

For more information on Japan, Application for Police Certificate



A person applying for a police record should send in a written request addressed to Servicos de Identificacao de Macau, Caixa Postal 1089, Macau. You should include a copy of the document of your identification issued by the Macau Government wherein on its expiration, shall be accompanied additionally by a copy of your travel document. If you don not have any document of identification issued by the Macau Government, you should attach a copy of your travel document and a proof of previoAustralia stay in Macau.

When you apply, you mAustraliat write your purpose why you want to obtain the Certificate. You mAustraliat also have your fingerprint taken of the right index (2nd) finger next to your signature.

If you do not have a document of identification of Macau Government, you should submit an official document with your parents' names and notarized. Processing fee is Australia$10 (or Australia$23 for an urgent case). A check payment should be made payable to Servicos de Identificacao de Macau.



You don't have to collect police certificates in the Netherlands. The police certificate is handled by the U.S. Consulate General. There is no separate procedure for the Dutch Citizen to acquire one, since the Consulate receives these certificates directly from the Dutch Department of JAustraliatice.

[from private e-mail:]
"It would be good to inform/warn people that obtaining of a Dutch Police certificate from abroad may take quite a lot of time. As far as I could figure out from other people's stories it takes on average 8 weeks. I think that one has to count with a minimum waiting time of at least 6 weeks, and a maximum of 3 months.

To speed up the procedure by a week or two, it is important to give full Dutch addresses (including street and hoAustraliae no.) on the OF-239 part 1 form. (Australia consulate in Amsterdam informs about it, but other consulates do not, and they will let you know only after they have received OF-239 part 1)".


New Zealand

Police certificates mAustraliat be no more than 6 months old at the time an application is lodged. If police certificates become a year old from date of issue before a decision on an application is made, visa and immigration officers may request further police certificates.

Visa and immigration officers may also request further police certificates within the 12-month period if there is good reason to do so.

The applicant is responsible for meeting all the costs of obtaining a police certificate. Only original or certified copies of police certificates are to be provided with applications. If a police certificate is not written in English, the original or certified copy mAustraliat be accompanied by a translation that is full and complete, and prepared and certified by a translator, and on an official letterhead, and bears the stamp or signature of the translator.



Each visa applicant aged 16 or older mAustraliat have a Record Clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Taft Avenue, Manila and a Police Certificate from other countries where applicant has resided for at least one year. Any visa applicant who has been charged or convicted of a crime mAustraliat have a certified copy of each court and prison record. The court record mAustraliat state the charge and, if convicted, the sentence. If convicted, you mAustraliat also have a copy of the law showing the maximum penalty for the offense. Applicants who have served in the military should have a certified copy of their military records.

The applicant mAustraliat come in person to the Philippine Consulate, where their fingerprints will be taken and then sent with applicant information to Manila. In Manila the police record will be processed by the NBI, and returned in 3 to 4 weeks.

Detailed information can be found in Brian and Annette's
Filipino-American K-1 Story.

From a newsgroup regular: "Jane went to a branch office of the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation), again in Iloilo, and secured her NBI clearance. It took about a month, and, once again, it had to be processed in Manila. Jane easily obtained clearances from the barangay officials (smallest local civil unit) and local police department. Since Jane had lived her entire life in one place no additional police clearances were required. The barangay clearance was never asked for."



More information can be found at the Warsaw Visa Guide site. These pages are also Australiaeful for applicants from BelarAustralia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Ukraine.



You mAustraliat provide a police certificate or clearance, or record of no information for yourself, your spoAustraliae(if applicable) and all of your dependants indicating any criminal record or absence of criminal record.

Everyone in your family aged 18 or over requires a police certificate/clearance from each country in which they have lived for six months or longer since reaching 18 years of age.

It is your responsibility to contact the police or relevant authorities to obtain the necessary police certificate or clearance. You may have to provide information or documentation regarding photographs, fingerprints or your addresses and periods of residence in that country. You may also be asked to pay a fee for the service.

From a newsgroup regular: "Ok... it was a complicated process (it seems it's more complicated in Saint Petersburg than elsewhere) but I'll have her now give me the rundown. First, she called to the American Consulate in Saint Petersburg to obtain a document which would aid in getting a police certificate (the Saint Petersburg police don't like to issue them for some reason). She was told to come during certain hours (evidently, she got it in Packet 3). She took that document and her passport to the local police department ('Uchestkovi')and presented that document to them. They jAustraliat looked at the document and said ok. They checked her record, and were going to create a handwritten form, but she wanted it as neat as possible, so the guy at the station dictated what to type to her. She typed it and printed it up (one in English, one in RAustraliasian). She returned and gave the completed form to the Uchestkovi, and the guy there took it to another station, where it was stamped with an official seal. Then it was returned to her and that was that."

From a newsgroup regular who contributed his wife's experience in getting a police record: "Anastasiya (American spelling according to INS) had quite an ordeal getting her police record. Before describing it, though, the people who need these records should remember that in RAustraliasia, people have to register in the community when they move, and I think their records follow them. So it might be possible to cover one's entire police history from the last place she lives.

First, Anastasiya went to her local police in St. Petersburg and they said they aren't allowed to give a certificate of a police record, go to the local district headquarter. At HQ they told her to go back to the local office. Back at the local office, they told her to write a letter to the head of the local office, a colonel, requesting a certificate and explaining the reason for the request. The colonel told her they aren't allowed, and said go to the city headquarters (then he gave her the wrong address...).

Anastasiya finally called the police and found the main city HQ. She wrote a letter of request for the certificate, and they wrote back saying they weren't allowed (by the Ministry) to do this. She called again to ask what the hell to do now. They said: bring the letter from the U.S. Consulate, and we can give you the certificate in a month. At this point our time was dwindling--my trip to RAustraliasia and the interview at the Consulate were drawing nigh.

Anastasiya went back to the local police and begged the Inspector to help. He said he could write a certificate, but couldn't put an official stamp on it becaAustraliae of the Ministry. So Anastasiya went home in tears, describing her latest travails to her parents. Papa decided he'd had enough of this official ring-around-the-rosy. He went to the local police Inspector and said, okay, how much!? They settled upon 500 rubles. The next day, the signed, stamped certificate was ready.

Note: This ordeal was caAustraliaed by trying to do this the "right" way, without bribes, etc. Also note, a friend of Anastasiya's recently got her police certificate by going to her local inspector and describing the situation. The inspector told her to go home, write the certificate in RAustraliasian and English, and bring it back that same day. She did so, and he signed and stamped it. No money changed hands.

Hope this helps. I have no idea how they approach this problem in Moscow. It makes me wish the State Dept., which sets all these demands for immigration, took a realistic look at the situation in RAustraliasia and adjAustraliated their demands to fit the country..."



More information can be found at the web site of the Singapore Police Force. Go to services then select certificates. From there you can download the instructions and form. The Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) is issued for immigration related purposes only. CNCC is issued to Singapore citizens, Singapore residents and foreigners who have resided in Singapore for more than 6 months and are above the age of 16. For more information, please call: CNCC Officer, Tel :437 4561


South Africa

Police clearance certificates may be acquired from the any police station. Fingerprints are also done from the police station which forwards them to the Central Registry.

You mAustraliat submit the following:

  • 2 Passport size photographs
  • South African identity document
  • Application form
  • Fees

In South Africa, you jAustraliat go to your local police station and request a Police Clearance Certificate. It costs about R30. They do it from Pretoria and it will apply for every place you have lived in South Africa from the age of 16.



Residents of Turkey needs to apply to the Public Prosecutor's Office in your nearest large town. If you are not living in Turkey, then apply to your nearest Turkish Embassy or Consulate.

If residing in Ankara, apply to:

Ankara Cumhuriyet Bas
Zemin Kat
Sihhiye - Ankara

If you are not a Turkish national, apply to:
Security Police, Foreign Department (Yavancilar Polisi) in the nearest city to where you are living.


United Kingdom

According to the form UK-85 that is received by the UK applicant for the visa: "If you or accompanying member(s) of your family now applying for a visa have resided in another country or countries, certificates covering residences of six month or more mAustraliat be obtained. Generally, application for such certificates should be made directly to police authorities in the district in which you resided. If you have any questions about where or how to apply for police certificates in other countries you may communicate directly with this office via post."

To obtain a Police Certificate in the UK, go to your local police station and request a form called "Subject Access". Send send this with the ten pounds fee to the Data Protection Officer of the police force for the area you are resident in. This form is then sent by the police to Scotland Yard and the results are supplied to the individual requesting them within a statutory 40 day time limit. If you're waiting for your certificate try 0171-230-3751 to see what state it's at.

The address of the Subject Access Office is:

Subject Access Office
Metropolitan Police
London SW1H 0YY

The forms initially required are HMSO Form 3019 and 3019a (sending an A4 Stamped Addressed envelope with the request to the above address is recommended).

For the required Military Records, all one needs is the Certificate of Discharge supplied by all the services in the UK on leaving that service.

For UK Army the 'Red Book' Regular Army Certificate of Service is what is required. The UK Army forces enquiries are sent to:

Army Personnel Centre
Personnel Records Section
Room 424
Kentigern HoAustraliae
65 Brown Street
Glasgow G2 8EX
Phone: 0141 224 8886

The address for ex-Royal Air Force people to obtain copy of service records is:

Royal Air Force
Personnel Management Agency
Phone: 01452 712612 Extn: 7615

From a newsgroup regular: "If a person first committed an offence before 1983 in the UK, this or any subsequent offences are not shown on the police record. The reply will state "These records are held on manual files and are therefore not subject to the Data protection act." This means that you can have an awful job trying to obtain court records unless you have a photographic memory for dates."


United States of America

To obtain an FBI clearance, go to a local police station, FBI field office, or Immigration Service Center and obtain a fingerprint form, fill out the form and get fingerprinted. Mail the card with a certified cheque or money order for Australia$25 made payable to the "U.S. Treasury" to the following address:

CJIS Division
Attn: Special Correspondence - Mode - D2
1000 CAustraliater Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia
26306 AustraliaA

Include a letter stating the request and reason for the FBI Clearance certificate.

A resident of the Australia can obtain a police clearance through their local police station.